Set among rolling lawns on the northern shore of Loch Shiel, this refined country hotel occupies an 18th-century stone mansion with pine-panelled walls. It's within 500m of the A830 and a 14-minute walk from Scotrail trains. Individually appointed with solid oak and mahogany furnishings, the elegant rooms and suites retain original features. All have tea and coffeemaking facilities and private or en suite bathrooms, with some adding spa baths and loch views. Full Scottish cooked breakfast is included, while fine-dining meals are available in the restaurant. A traditional bar serves drinks and pub meals.
Glenfinnan House Hotel stands in its unique position across the bay from the National Trust for Scotland monument to Prince Charles Edward Stuart (a.k.a. Bonnie Prince Charlie). Beyond the monument Ben Nevis is visible, the UK's highest mountain, while a 10-minute walk away through the red deer dotted Glenfinnan Estate, is the famous Glenfinnan viaduct railway bridge which was used in scenes from various Harry Potter films. This Scottish country house is a fine stone mansion dating from 1755. For more details see history of Glenfinnan House. Attractive public rooms include a comfortable drawing room, a beautifully appointed dining room and a welcoming bar where traditional music is often heard.
The house was built as an inn between 1752 and 1755 by Alexander MacDonald VII of Glenaladale who was wounded at Culloden (1746) fighting for Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie). Later it became a tenant farmer's dwelling and remained as such until 1842. About that time the proprietor, Angus MacDonald XII of Glenaladale, converted the old building into a mansion house by heightening the walls and the ceilings and enlarging the windows to make it into a suitable seat for his family. Soon after this he doubled the size of the building to its present form.
He and his successor were very hospitable and kept an open house in the good old Highland style. His brother, Fr. Donald, who built the church, lived in the house for upwards of 30 years, and eventually Col. John Andrew (son of Angus) succeeded in 1870. The Colonel died in 1916 without issue and the house and lands passed out of the family after a period of over 300 years. The present owners, the MacFarlane family, came to Glenfinnan in 1971 by which time the house was in an advanced state of disrepair. They converted the house into an hotel whilst attempting to retain as much of its old character as possible. In November 2002 they appointed award winning chef Duncan Gibson (formerly of Arisaig House) and his wife Manja to manage the hotel for them.