Hopetoun House is a country house near Queensferry, West Lothian, owned by the Hopetoun House Preservation Trust, a charity established in 1974 to preserve the House and Grounds as a national monument and to protect and improve their amenities, and to preserve for the benefit of the nation the furniture, paintings, manuscripts and other articles of historical or artistic interest associated with the House. The south wing of the house is occupied by the family of The 4th Marquess of Linlithgow as their family home.
The house was built 1699-1701 and designed by Sir William Bruce. The house was then hugely extended from 1721 by William Adam until his death in 1748, being one of his most notable projects. The interior was completed by his sons John Adam and Robert Adam. The magnificent entrance hall dates from 1752.
The Hope family acquired the land in the 17th century. Charles Hope, the first occupant, was only 16 years old when his mother, Lady Margaret Hope, signed the contract for building with William Bruce, on 28 September 1698. The master mason is noted as Tobias Bachope of Alloa. The plumber and glazier was John Forster of Berwick.
The English garden style landscape park in which it lies were laid out in 1725, also by William Adam. The east front centres on the distant isle of Inchgarvie and North Berwick Law. The walled garden dates from the late 18th century. In the grounds an 18th-century mound was excavated in 1963 to reveal the remains of the earlier manor house, Abercorn Castle, dating from the 15th century.
During the summer months, parts of the castle and gardens are open to visitors. Classical musical recitals are occasionally put on at Hopetoun House. Chilean pianist Alfredo Perl once performed recitals of Chopin at the house. The site can also be let for weddings, conferences, and filming. Hopetoun House Website