The building designed by John Henderson was opened for worship in 1847 and is Early English in style. Chancel ceiling panels were painted by Mabel Royds (1874-1941). There are fine stained glass commemorative windows with several memorials in marble and stone reflecting the links with the town's military history. The organ is a Forster & Andrews dated 1890. Forster and Andrews British organ building company, was formed by James Alderson Forster (1818–1886) and Joseph King Andrews (1820–1896), who had been employees of the London organ builder J. C. Bishop.
They opened the business that bore their name in Hull in 1843. The business developed and became one of the most successful of the North of England organ builder. The business was taken over by John Christie in 1924 and finally wound up in 1956. As well as their Hull headquarters, the company had branches in London and York.he business was taken over by John Christie in 1924 and was finally wound up in 1956. As well as their Hull headquarters, the company had branches in London and York. The German builder Edmund Schulze (1823–1878), an influence on Forster and Andrews, used to recommend them to prospective clients when he was unable to accept commissions.
David Hamilton is Director of Music at St Mary’s Episcopal Church, Hamilton, and teaches at the Music School of Douglas Academy and at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. He has performed throughout Europe and in North America, Russia and China, and is a Guest Professor at Shanghai Conservatory. On the Divine Art label, he has recorded a Buxtehude CD at Aberdeen University, and a Bach disc at Canongate Kirk, Edinburgh.
David is University Organist at Strathclyde University, home of the new Bach-style organ, built by Orgelbau Kögler. He studied with Stuart Campbell at Glasgow University, Harald Vogel at the North-German Organ Academy and Jos van der Kooy at Zwolle Conservatory in the Netherlands. He was a prizewinner at Royal College of Organists’ exams and at the European Organ Improvisation competition.