The new fountains cost almost £50,000. The old ones were bought for presentation to the Canadian government, and are now in Ottawa and Regina. A further programme of restoration work was completed by May 2009. The existing pump system was replaced with a one capable of sending an 80-
The earliest extant reference to the church is from 1222, with a dispute between the Abbot of Westminster and the Bishop of London as to who had control over it. The Archbishop of Canterbury decided in favour of Westminster, and the monks of Westminster Abbey began to use it. Henry VIII rebuilt the church in 1542 to avoid plague victims from the area having to pass through his Palace of Whitehall. At this time, it was literally "in the fields", an isolated position between the cities of Westminster and London.
Because of its prominent position, St Martin-
In January 2006, work began on a £36-
In 1841, following suggestions from the local paving board, Barry agreed to the idea that two fountains should be installed, to counteract the effects of the reflected heat and glare from the proposed asphalt surface. The First Commissioner of Woods and Forests also welcomed the plan, not least because the fountains would reduce the open space available for public gatherings and thus reduce the risk of riotous assembly. The fountains were fed from two wells, one in front of the National Gallery and one behind it, connected by a tunnel. The water was pumped by a steam engine, housed in a building behind the gallery. In the late 1930s it was decided to replace the pump and the centrepieces of the fountains. The new centrepieces, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, were intended as memorials to Lord Jellicoe and Lord Beatty, although the busts of the two admirals, initially planned to be placed in the surrounds of the fountains were eventually placed against the northern retaining wall when the project was completed after the Second WorldWar.
Copyright © 2012 Don Perry Photography. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer/Legal.
Design by dp